Happy Spring! With somewhere around 40 days left of school in this school year, I would like to take the time to remind parents/students about upcoming events and update you all on what’s been happening in the classroom.
- April 6th brings Star Wars to CHS, doors open at 6:00
- April 13th is a workday in our garden at school from 10-12. Feel free to bring the family, work gloves and tools.
- Believe it or not, April break is 3 weeks away, 4/22-4/26
- May 22 and 23 are TWO field trips for our class (back to back)! On May 22, we venture to the Winooski Park District/Ethan Allen Homestead for Science (8:30-1:00) and on May 23, our big trip to Fort Ticonderoga (all day) for Social Studies. We have VERY limited room (if any) for chaperones for the Ethan Allen Homestead, but Fort Ti is open to anyone wanting to chaperone. As was the case last year, we will ask the chaperones to drive their own cars or carpool as we do not have room on the bus for everyone. ***Important Note*** If you are interested in chaperoning this year for any event, you must have the proper forms filed with the Superintendent’s Office. Because you will be working with children, background checks must be done and you must be approved and listed with the Superintendent’s Office. If this is not done, you will not be able to accompany us on any field trip. If yoiu have any questions, you can let me know and I can tell you if you’ve filed these forms already. If you have not, please get a form from the office, complete it and return it to MBS or the Superintendent’s Office ASAP.
- Currently, our last day of school is scheduled for June 13th with a half day. Let’s hope we don’t have any more emergency/snow days!!
- The fifth grade talent show will be happening also this year, your student has received information on this. They should be completing the “registration” and turning it in so we may approve songs, etc.
We are in Unit 9 in Everyday Mathematics, studying area, perimeter and volume of rectangles and triangles. **Please remember** all Evervyday Mathematics lessons and parental hints/answers to worksheets can be found on the EDM math site, see our “links” page. When your student comes home and would like you to check his/her work, this is the place to go. Another good website to brush up on mathematics skills is kahnacademy.com. Fifth graders are currently being taught math “our way or the old, traditional way” and not the “new way” as in grades K-4. They are multiplying, dividing and problem solving the same way we did in school, so don’t be nervous about helping them out!…and thank you for your help at home if they need it!
Mr. Winchester has been back in the classroom in the afternoons for Social Studies. He is tutoring and providing some one on one help to some students in Lighthouse and then coming back to our class to teach S.S. It’s wonderful to see him back at MBS!
D.A.R.E. has ending with wonderful presentations from the students. Most put in an incredible amount of work and it shows! Projects will be on display during the D.A.R.E. graduation.
In literacy, we have been studying poetry, mysteries and we will be starting a new historical fiction reading book this week that will tie into our Social Studies unit on the Revolutionary War.
We are busy, busy, busy here at school! As always, if you have any questions or concerns, please let me know – firstname.lastname@example.org
Again, Happy Spring,