Welcome to our fifth grade class. I am very pleased to welcome you and your child to what I know will be a productive and positive school year of learning. I hope that the paragraphs below will answer some of your questions and provide you with some insight into the curriculum and weekly schedule. I look forward to working with all of you.
I graduated from Saint Michael’s College with a B.S. in Business Administration and worked in the insurance industry before changing careers. I went to Johnson State for a Masters Degree in Education and this is my fifteenth year teaching at Malletts Bay . I live in Colchester with my wife Jacci and my daughters Alyse, Kristen, Leanne & Meili. I enjoy spending time with my family, reading, biking, gardening and completing home projects.
My philosophy can be summed up in one word, pragmatic. I work to incorporate strategies and techniques that are considered best practice based on research. Please always feel free to ask questions about any part of my program.
Our positive classroom climate is based upon mutual respect, joy, honesty and hard work. As the teacher it is my responsibility to guide your child and help him/her to be a successful member of our school community. Each child’s needs are equally important and will be respected.
- I am generally at school from 7:45 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. Please contact me with any questions or concerns.
- The easiest way to contact me is to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Most Fridays your child will bring home a communication folder that will include communication journals, student work, etc.
- Students write to their parent or guardian most every Friday in their communication journal. These letters are intended to provide you with a view into your child’s school week and to provide you with an ongoing dialogue with your child.
- Class blog.
- Fifth grade in Colchester is followed by middle school. As a fifth grade teacher one of my responsibilities is to help prepare your child for the next academic step which includes a greater degree of academic independence and responsibility. Please expect homework virtually every Monday through Thursday.
- Occasionally, weekend homework may be assigned.
- Students need to complete homework in its entirety and accurately.
- A signed home reading slip is due each Thursday
- I firmly believe that school work comes before other student activities.
Home Reading :
- Your child will be required to read at home for at least eighty minutes per week.
- Your child will track his/her reading on tracking sheets provided by me. Students should do the recording.
- Home reading is a significant portion of your child’s reading grade.
- I will send field trip notices as each trip nears.
- Please let me know if cost is prohibitive and a scholarship will be made available.
The URI to TrackBack this entry is: http://blogs.csdvt.org/winchesterm/about/trackback/